ThinkPad X121e with UFEI boot

I have ThinkPad X121e and recenly exchanged its HDD to SSD, then I've tried to boot from UEFI but I couldn't. And I considered its something wrong with this old BIOS verion but new one can improve the situation, tried to update it. Steps are below.
  1. get iso image file from Lenovo (Japanese site) (release note)
  2. put iso image into /boot
  3. add custom grub file as /etc/grub.d/99_bios (note: I don't separate /boot partition, maybe you should specify path for file if you don't do so).
    $ sudo sh -c "touch /etc/grub.d/99_bios; chmod +x /etc/grub.d/99_bios"
    and edit /etc/grub.d/99_bio file.
    #! /bin/sh
    menuentry "BIOS Update" {
           linux16 memdisk iso
           initrd16 xxxxxxxxxx.iso
    }
    
  4. update grub menu with and check /boot/grub/grub.cfg file
    $ sudo update-grub
    $ tail /boot/grub/grub.cfg
  5. make sure memdisk command is installed
    $ sudo apt-get install syslinux
  6. just reboot and select bios update menu
Looks okay, its firmware update was success but I cannot boot it (installation was okay). Hmm...

As Matthew Garrett blogged before, probably ThinkPad X121e's firmware doesn't allow to boot from any entries in UEFI except "Windows Boot Manager" :-(

 ...So I have to back to legacy BIOS. *sigh*

Comments